Handling A Bearded Dragon - Top 3 Tips
Most people are attracted to bearded dragons because they usually take well to handling. There are many opinions about how best to go about “taming” your dragon, but before we get into the resources we’ve found most helpful, a few points to keep in mind:
- Provide Support: The goal is to make them feel balanced.
- Pet Gently & Slowly: You may find your beardie enjoys the petting, but do it gently and with the scales.
- Shedding: Resist the temptation to “help” them with shedding as you could damage healthy scales.
Here are the top 3 resources we’ve found helpful if you want to go in depth on enclosure topics:
- Taronga Zoo: no better place to turn to for advice than the bearded dragon’s home country in this video from the NWS Department of Education https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To_XkFkQO9U
- Repti Files: https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care-packet/bearded-dragon-body-language-taming-handling/
- Chicago Exotics Animal Hospital: scroll down to the small write-up on handling (towards the bottom) for the important reminder that reptiles can harbor salmonella, so always practice proper hygiene before, during and after handling. http://www.exoticpetvet.com/bearded-dragon-care.html
That said, we recommend watching a few more YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with different approaches as each beardie can be different.