Bearded Dragon Enclosures - Top 5 Guides
Whether the objective is a simple, cost effective housing to keep your pet safe and healthy or you want an enclosure with all that PLUS a cool design that enhances the owning experience, keep in mind a few key points:
- Size for the Future: A baby can live in a 20 gallon tank, but within 6 months, the ideal size is 40 gallons...and by their first birthday, they’ll likely need ~75 gallons (more if it will grow to be more than 20 inches).
- Design For Nature: Make sure there is sufficient room for features that provide basking, climbing and hiding places.
- Buy For Efficiency: Lighting and heating are critical elements to the health of your pet, but can suck up time and money. Make sure the enclosure is designed to make it simple to maintain the lighting and heating elements and make sure the glass is efficient.
Here are some great resources if you want to go in depth on enclosure topics:
- Bearded Dragon Care Info: http://www.beardeddragons.co.za/bearded-dragon-housing-requirements/
- Zen Habitats: they have a nice video about their enclosures, which helps you understand what to look for in an enclosure. https://www.zenhabitats.com/
- Bearded Dragon Care 101: https://www.beardeddragoncare101.com/choose-proper-enclosure-bearded-dragon/
- My Life Pets: https://mylifepets.com/best-bearded-dragon-enclosure/
- Chicago Exotics Animal Hospital: scroll down to the enclosure paragraph and note their critical point about housing the outside (in Chicago!) in the warmer months. http://www.exoticpetvet.com/bearded-dragon-care.html